It was about this time last year that I decided I was really going to give blogging a try. While I didn’t really hit the ground running right out the gate, I’m honestly pretty proud of how far I’ve come in a year and cannot wait to see where the next year takes me!
In this last year, I’ve gained so many amazing followers on my blog and social media, and I’m extremely thankful for each and every one of you who has taken an interest and decided to support my journey as a blogger. That being said, I realize you learn more about me every day and get an inside view on my day to day life, but there’s plenty you probably don’t know about me! So in honor of my 26th birthday, here are 26 fun facts you may or may not know about me!
- I graduated from the University of Iowa with a Bachelors in English. I had a concentration in Creative Writing, but was actually accepted originally on the Pre-Med track! Go Hawks!
- My first concerts were Cher and Styx. I was probably somewhere between 7-9 years old, but I can’t remember exactly.
- My husband is 100% English, from a town north of Manchester on the eastern coast. He coaches soccer & is a personal trainer.
- I was born in Illinois, but grew up right across the border in Iowa, then finally moved back to Illinois when I was 22!
- My husband and I met in a bar in my hometown. My sister-in-law introduced us. We went on a date that week and have been together ever since. He truly is the love of my life.
- I went to a very small private Christian high school. I commuted an hour, back and forth, every day for all of high school and graduated with a 4.0 GPA.
- I mention this occasionally in my blogs, but I’m a type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed when I was 10. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people think I got my t1D because I ate too much sugar. That’s not how it works. It’s an autoimmune disease. My pancreas is literally broken and does not produce insulin.
- I do not let my t1D define me, and am very discrete and rarely talk about it; therefore, many people know me for months or even years before they know about it. I am very happy to inform people, though, if they have any questions.
- My first and favorite internship in college was with the Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature. At the time, IC was the only designated City of Lit in the US. I did web content and social media.
- I have 5 tattoos, though normally the only visible ones are the ones on my ankle and behind my ear. They all have very personal, important meanings behind them. I’m planning to get one in honor of my daughters next.
- British Lit is my favorite type of literature, which stems from my love of my favorite author, Jane Austen. I read every Austen novel before even graduating high school.
- I was a pescatarian (a vegetarian who eats fish, basically) for about a year– mainly because raw meat disgusts me. I still can barely touch raw chicken without gagging.
- I could watch the movies P.S. I Love You and The Holiday every day. I don’t know why, I just love them so much.
- Gin is my favorite liquor. Moscow Mules are my favorite alcoholic beverage. I like them best with gin. (Go try pink gin if you haven’t already.)
- I have a very big blended family, and I’m thankful for all the ones who have remained a part of my life, especially my siblings.
- My knowledge of 70’s music is very extensive and my dad loves quizzing me on it when a song comes on, especially if we are out at a bar.
- I hate pickles.
- I’ve only been to five countries (U.S., Mexico, Canada, Iceland, England). I can’t wait to travel more. My bucket list includes most of western Europe.
- I redesigned and wore my mom’s wedding dress for my wedding.
- I share the name Jessica with my sister-in-law, but people rarely call me Jessica, usually just Jess.
- I got engaged when I was 22 and married when I was 23. I had my first daughter at 24.
- I have a really varied taste in music. My favorite is Alt-Indie, like Grace Potter and the Nocturnals and Brit Rock, like Oasis and Arctic Monkeys. Other favorites include CHVRCHES and the Killers, but I will always sing along to Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Adele and all throwback of the late 90s/early 2000s. I had the opportunity to meet singer/songwriter William Fitzsimmons in college and interview him for the online magazine I wrote for. Coolest music experience ever.
- I have moved over 10 times since college and my saint of a father has helped me move every single time. Thanks, Dad!
- I have one daughter and am due with my second in 6 weeks. They each have two middle names, that are family names. Being a mother is the most fulfulling and wonderful experience I could’ve ever imagined.
- My current favorite Starbucks drink is the Pink Drink. And yes, I love Starbucks and don’t think it is overrated.
- We are huge Green Bay Packers fans and my favorite season is autumn so bring on FOOTBALL SEASON (even though it means my hubby will be glued to his fantasy football app).
Well, there you go! Hopefully, you learned a little something new about me that you didn’t know before!
xx, the windy city mama
p.s. Little story about my balloons… my sweet husband got these for me on my actually birthday (last Saturday) but it was down-pouring outside and they scared the dog so we ended up sticking them in the guest room and I never took a photo with them! So last night while writing this blog, I decided I would blow them back up myself and finally take some photos with them. So, yes, most of the air in these balloons is Jess air and not helium.